The paradigm of smart grids is crucial to meet the electric power demand in the contemporary society, with efficiency and reliability. In this regard, it is essential to have monitoring systems for the structures and components of the electric grid, allowing to know their status in real time, and thereby ensuring its maximum efficiency and safe operation. Therefore, becomes essential the development of monitoring systems capable of fulfill these requirements. In this context, optical fiber sensors present important features for operation in high voltage environment, in particular: intrinsic isolation, immunity to electromagnetic interferences, compactness and reduced weight. An important component of an optical sensor system is the opto-electronic system of signal retrieving. Resolution and measurement accuracy depend on the characteristics and performance of this device. This project proposes the development of a differential interferometric readout system for fiber optic sensors, aiming its application in electric power grids.
The researchers involved in this project are professionals with expertise in optical sensors and power systems with wide experience performing works of science, technology and innovation.
The specific objectives of the project are:
- Modeling, development and characterization of the readout interferometer;
- Development of the electronics for signal acquisition, conditioning and processing;
- Packaging and encapsulation of the readout device;
- Tests with temperature sensors, strain and other parameters of interest for the power grids;
- Strengthening skills in fiber optics technology for application in power grids by interacting with national partners with complementary skills.
This project is financially supported by CNPq through the program Chamada Universal (MCTI / CNPq No. 14/2014) that promotes proposals to significantly contribute to the scientific and technological development and innovation in Brazil.
|Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico||Brasil|
|Universidade Estadual de Campinas||Brasil|
|Instituto de Estudos Avançados||Brasil|
|Universidade Federal de Campina Grande||Brasil|
|INESC P&D Brasil||Brasil|